I'm planning to give you a Simple Supper each week - here's what we had for tea last night. You can mix and match the different elements but they went really well together and there was even guacamole left for my lunch today!
Mexican Chicken with Refried Beans and Guacamole
For the Mexican Chicken
2 chicken breasts
1 red pepper, cut into chunks
1/2 a red onion, cut into large pieces
4 cloves garlic, skin on
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground oregano
or use a Mexican spice mix to coat your chicken
For the Refried Beans
1/2 a red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tin refried beans - I used spicy ones but plain will be fine too
1/4 block feta cheese
Fresh herbs - I used coriander and parsley
For the Guacamole
1 ripe avocado
1 chilli - use one with a strength you can cope with!
2 spring onions
Fresh herbs - I used coriander and mint
4 soft tortillas, a lime and sour cream to serve
Heat your oven to 180c / 340F / Gas Mark 4
1. Mix together your spices, or put 4 tsps of a Mexican spice mix in a bowl. Rub olive oil onto the chicken, then coat in the spice mix by pressing down in the bowl. Heat an ovenproof griddle pan or frying pan on the hob. Ensure the chicken is coated on both sides pretty evenly then drizzle a bit more olive oil on and place both pieces into the hot pan. Turn after 3 or 4 minutes - we're not cooking it all the way through at this stage, just getting colour onto the chicken.
2. Once you have seared the chicken on both sides, add your chunks of red pepper and onion along with the four cloves of garlic, kept whole and in their skins. Add a bit more olive oil if your pan is looking dry, then put the pan into the oven - set the timer for 20 mins.
3. Once your chicken is in the oven, prep your beans. Dice the onion and mince your garlic, then add to a small pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook gently until the onion is just beginning to brown, then remove from the heat. Chop your herbs and feta cheese and set aside.
4. For the guacamole, remove the flesh form your avocado and chop into rough cubes. Chop your chilli, spring onions and herbs then combine with the avocado, adding the sour cream and the juice from your lime. Mix and set aside.
5. Once your chicken is done, remove from the oven and check it is cooked by piercing the thickest part of the breast and making sure the juices run clear. Leave the chicken to rest while you finish your beans.
6. Put the pan with your onion and garlic in it back on the heat and add the tin of refried beans. Leave to cook for 2 mins to warm through then add half your feta and herbs and mix in. This won't look beautiful but I promise it will taste good!
7. Divide the chicken, guacamole and beans between the two plates and sprinkle your reserved herbs over the plate and feta over the beans. Add a lime quarter, some warm tortillas and a dollop of sour cream and tuck in!